Democratic Socialists of America reaffirm our position that no human being is illegal and that all people are welcome in our organization on an equal basis regardless of immigration or citizenship status.
DSA makes defense of immigrant and refugee rights a national priority, spearheaded by the Immigrants’ Rights Working Group, organizing for the full liberation of peoples impacted by mass displacement, forced migration, and oppression.
Immigrants in the United States are living under apartheid conditions. Under the U.S. constitution, persons living in the U.S. are promised basic human rights; however, under the current legal framework migrants in the U.S. are disenfranchised from basic legal protections. The migrant working class constitutes at least 20% of the working class. Political projects that do not include a substantive and realistic analysis of the migrant working class fail to understand both race and class in the U.S. and thus fail to address our fundamental political tasks.
To achieve these ends we must first, promote the empowerment, self-determination, and liberation of Blacks, Latinos, Asians, indigenous, and other oppressed nationalities and immigrants within DSA and within the nation. Our opposition must be at a level sufficient enough to defeat these forces.
As democratic socialists, we recognize that migrants experience the most damning and direct crimes of the neoliberal capitalist system. Militarized borders, xenophobic/racist immigration laws, and an abusive prison industrial complex aim to dehumanize and marginalize immigrants, functioning to both suppress wages and divide the working class. We seek to abolish these and any barrier to the social, labor, and political power of migrants through our organized movement.
Democratic Socialists of America demand:
- Abolition of ICE and the end to the persecution, jailing, and deportation of immigrants.
- Aid to those fleeing from violence, political and economic turmoil, imperialism, colonialism, as well as global warming-induced climate change instead of barring refugees at our borders and jailing those who arrive.
- Full labor rights for all those who work within the country and the integration of the labor movement with those who struggle for immigrant rights.
- Elimination of H-2 A, “guest worker” type programs.
- Afirm and unequivocal stance in favor of immigrants and refugees.
Email us: [email protected]