If you are newly elected, have not yet been added to our HGO update list, or need to update any of the information you previously supplied, please use this form: Update Your HGO Information
First, we are happy to provide you with training at the earliest opportunity. However, even if you have not yet been trained, you may find yourself presented with a grievance and unsure about how to proceed. Please know that the NHGOs (Paula & Ana) are here to support your work, and please don’t hesitate to contact us for assistance at [email protected]. We can quickly guide you to the right resources, provide technical assistance in a Zoom session, or otherwise provide what training and assistance you need.
Our webinar trainings are offered on a monthly basis. including HGO training and conflict management training. Those on the HGO update list will be notified of upcoming trainings, or here’s where you’ll find the latest info:
Here are older versions of our trainings, but we encourage you to sign up for one of our newly updated and participatory trainings:
- Chapter HGO Training
- Overview of DSA’s Grievance Process for HGOs and Chapter Leaders
- Complex Conflict Management Strategies for Chapters
Here are some documents that will get you quickly up to speed on your HGO responsibilities:
- The Model Harassment Grievance Document will assist you in creating a customized form for your chapter. Please follow the instructions on the model form to create your own chapter form and/or adapt your chapter’s current form.
- The NEW Overview of the Resolution 33 Grievance Filing Process will familiarize you with how the grievance process works.
- The HGO Investigation Guide will get you started with your first grievance investigation.
- The Chapter Impartiality Form is used when sharing the HGO’s recommendation with the chapter leadership to ensure that each member of the leadership body (known as the Steering Committee, Coordinating Committee, Executive Committee, etc.) agrees to keep the information confidential, will decide the matter fairly and impartially, and will recuse themselves if unable to do so or there is a conflict of interest.
- NPC Resolution 33-Related Decisions: The NPC has passed several measures to resolve unanswered questions and/or provide additional interpretation of Resolution 33 as the NPC and the NHGO work to implement the resolution nationwide and resolve issues arriving in certain grievance appeals. These decisions provide further clarity as to how Resolution 33 will be interpreted by the NHGO and the NPC in addressing appeals, and to implement best practices in ensuring the policy is accompanied by procedures that execute its intent.
We will be adding HGO resources over time here on this page, so please let Paula know what additional resources will be helpful to you in your work.
Resolution 33 requires chapters to submit data annually about grievances processed. This information is included in Annual Reports submitted to DSA’s membership following the end of the reporting period. The annual reporting period runs from July 1 to June 30 each year. The fourth Annual Report covers July 1, 2021-June 30, 2022, and is the most recent report to have been released at this time.
- 2018-2019 Annual Report on Resolution 33
- 2019-2020 Annual Report on Resolution 33
- 2020-2021 Annual Report on Resolution 33
- 2021-2022 Annual Report on Resolution 33
Other Important Documents:
- Information about harassment grievances for DSA members
- DSA Code of Conduct for Members
- DSA Meeting Code of Conduct
If you are dealing with a difficult grievance situation, or have questions or feedback for Paula, you are invited to meet with Paula to further discuss your grievance situation and set up a technical assistance session.
Paula and Ana here to support you in your work as an HGO, and would rather deal with difficult situations as they arise rather than being forced to overturn a grievance on appeal over an avoidable mistake. If you are unsure about how to proceed with a particular grievance, please set up a technical assistance session with Paula.
Technical assistance sessions are conducted via Zoom, typically last up to 45 minutes, and are an opportunity for up to 4 chapter HGOs to meet with Paula or Ana about HGO-related concerns. Time slots are available throughout the week, with times available to accommodate the needs of those in different time zones and/or who work during regular business hours. Please email Paula (nationalgri[email protected]) to be provided with the calendar link.