Thanks for coming — we really appreciate your work to help eradicate harassment in your local chapter and to help transform the culture of DSA to create a space that is welcoming and inclusive to members of all genders, races, and classes and ensures that everyone is able to organize without fear of harassment, abuse, or harm.
Here are some resources that may assist you in your work as an HGO (Harassment Grievance Officer):
- If you have not yet been added to our HGO database, or you need to update any of the information you previously supplied, please use this form: Who are your chapter HGOs?
- If you attended one of the regional conferences in Feb-Apr 2019, and did not use the sign-in form, please fill this out so that we know you’ve been trained: Regional Conference HGO Sign-In
- The trainers (Paula, Megan, and Robyn) referenced the Model Harassment Grievance form. Please follow the instructions on the model form to create your own chapter form and/or adapt your chapter’s current form: Model Harassment Grievance Document
- Here is the final version of the slides that were presented. If you attended one of the earlier trainings, please review these slides or keep them handy for reference. Based on feedback from trainers and participants, we edited the slides before each regional conferences and made improvements as we went along: DSA Regional Training Curriculum
- Resolution 33 at the 2017 DSA national convention required chapters to submit data annually about grievances processed. The first Annual Report covers July 1, 2018-June 30, 2019 and will provide a baseline for comparison in future reports. 2018-2019 Annual Report on Resolution 33
- We are preparing an HGO guide, which will be a compilation of memos, checklists, and other helpful information developed by Paula and her team. In the meantime, we will be adding HGO resources over time here on this page, so please let Paula know what additional resources will be helpful to you in your work.
- NPC Resolution 33-Related Decisions: The NPC has passed several measures to resolve unanswered questions and/or provide additional interpretation of Resolution 33 as the NPC and the NHGO work to implement the resolution nationwide and resolve issues arriving in certain grievance appeals. These decisions provide further clarity as to how Resolution 33 will be interpreted by the NHGO and the NPC in addressing appeals, and to implement best practices in ensuring the policy is accompanied by procedures that execute its intent.
- Chapter Impartiality Form: To be used when sharing the HGO’s recommendation with the chapter leadership, to ensure that each member of the leadership body (known as the Steering Committee, Coordinating Committee, Executive Committee, etc.) agrees to keep the information confidential, will decide the matter fairly and impartially, and will recuse themselves if unable to do so or there is a conflict of interest.
- Members have the ability to appeal the Steering Committee’s grievance recommendation to National DSA. What process they will follow for appeals depends on whether the original grievance was based upon harassment, resulted in findings that a member violated Resolution 33/chapter harassment policy and/or determined under Resolution 33. Members unclear about the appropriate process to follow can contact Paula.
- Information about harassment grievances for DSA members
- Other resources will be added over time as they are available.
If you are dealing with a difficult grievance situation, or have questions or feedback for Paula, you are invited to set up a listening session.
Paula is here to support you in your work as an HGO, and would rather deal with difficult situations as they arise rather than being forced to overturn a grievance on appeal over an avoidable mistake. If you are unsure about how to proceed with a particular grievance, please set up a listening session.
Listening sessions are conducted via Zoom, typically last up to 45 minutes, and are an opportunity for up to 4 chapter HGOs to meet with Paula about HGO-related concerns. Time slots are available Sun-Tues, with times available to accommodate the needs of those in different time zones and/or who work during regular business hours. Please email Paula (email@example.com) to be provided with the calendar link.