Location: New York City
Democratic Socialists of America (DSA) is the largest democratic socialist organization in the United States and has experienced massive growth over the past two years. We now have 50,000 members and over 200 groups in 50 states and the District of Columbia engaged in movement-building, public education, direct action, advocacy, and electoral politics. Our goal is to build multi-racial working class power and win transformative reforms like Medicare for All, protect programs like Medicaid expansion at the state level, support a stronger labor movement, and elect socialists to office, all while shifting the public framing around capitalism and democratic socialism.
This full-time position is based in DSA’s national office in New York City (lower Manhattan). The position reports to the National Director and works with 11 other staff. The Operations Director will provide some support to DSA Fund, our sister 501(c)(3) educational organization.
- Regularly evaluate the efficiency of procedures according to organizational objectives and apply improvements.
- Supervise operations staff.
- Lead annual budgeting and planning process and liaison with Budget and Finance Committee of the National Political Committee (DSA’s board).
- Ensure the organization’s financial health through regular review of monthly and quarterly reports with Budget & Finance Committee, Assistant to the National Director, and Financial Manager, compare with financial and operational goals, and propose adjustments.
- Review reports from Assistant to the National Director on cash position, expense reports for budgeting and intercompany reconciliation.
- Arrange for timely staff time tracking of program hours.
- Administer payroll, employee benefits and organizational insurance.
- Revise and/or formulate HR, IT, financial, and other policies, comply with the collective bargaining agreement of the staff union, and ensure their implementation and compliance.
- Support the National Director to work with the Personnel Committee of the National Political Committee.
- Assist the National Director with staff recruitment, orientation and development.
- Manage relationships/agreements with external partners/vendors.
- Oversee projects of operations-related volunteer committees and maintain relationships.
- Ensure that the organization is run with legality and conformity to established regulations.
- Serve as primary liaison to legal counsel in addressing legal issues e.g. copyright, antitrust, governing instruments, partnerships, licensing, election law compliance, etc.
- Perform other duties which may arise based on the needs of the organization.
- Bachelor’s degree in business or non-profit administration, finance, management, human resources, or economics or equivalent experience.
- Minimum 3 years of experience as director of operations, in department management or in fiscal management, covering budgets of at minimum a million dollars and directly supervising 3 or more staff.
- Knowledge of 501(c)4, 501(c)3 and employment laws and guidelines.
- Exceptional listening, interpersonal, and general communication skills.
- Strong delegation skills.
- Strong administrative skills and ability to manage multiple projects at once.
- Proven ability to efficiently manage a project, use limited resources effectively, and work with a team.
- Experience working with volunteers.
- Excellent computer skills: advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Word and Excel.
- Commitment to feminist, anti-racist, anti-heterosexist and pro-worker principles and action.
- Available to start immediately or within four weeks.
- A master’s degree in business administration, organizational development or finance.
- Bookkeeping experience.
- Credentials as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA).
- Familiarity with Google Drive/ Google Suite.
- Familiarity with CRM/CMS platforms helpful.
- Sense of humor.
- Identify as a socialist and be grounded in democratic socialist politics; general agreement with the positions and perspectives of YDSA and DSA.
Work Schedule: Full time, some remote work.
Salary: Commensurate with experience, between $63,000-$70,000.
Benefits: We offer employer paid medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their spouse/partner and/or dependent children, and three weeks of vacation in the first year of employment, then four weeks each year thereafter.
This position is not covered by a collective bargaining agreement. DSA is an equal opportunity employer.
Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis and the position will start as soon as possible.
Application Deadline: Apply as soon as possible, as interviews begin immediately.
To Apply: Email the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org WITH THE SUBJECT LINE: OPERATIONS DIRECTOR.
- cover letter with statement of your qualifications and operations, finance and HR experience
- 3 references with direct supervisory knowledge of relevant work