People across the globe are reeling from the U.S. military’s escalation towards war. Just weeks after anti-government protests in Iran about rising fuel prices, these attacks on Iraqi soil bring us dangerously close to never-ending U.S. led war with catastrophic consequences for millions of Iranians, Iraqis, and people across the Middle East.
Join our national organizing call this Thursday, 1/9 at 8pm ET/7pm CT/6pm CT/5pm PT. If you can’t make that time, don’t worry — a recording of the call will be sent to everyone who RSVPs.
War would also immediately put at risk our own domestic fights for Medicare for All, a Green New Deal, and other programs. It would bring thousands more working-class people from the U.S. into the war zone. And it would lead to increased racial and religious profiling in our communities and suppression of dissent. Democratic socialists understand that working class people in the U.S. have nothing to gain from war in the Middle East and we must do everything in our power to stop further U.S. military intervention in the region.
Already, DSA chapters all over the country are organizing demonstrations demanding an end to the escalation, but it will take sustained pressure from a mass movement to stop U.S. imperialism.
On the call, we’ll be joined by:
- Rory Fanning, Writer, veteran of two tours in Afghanistan, conscientious objector, and member of Veterans for Peace
- Linda Sarsour, Executive Director at MPower Change, the largest Muslim led social and racial justice organization in the United States
- Azadeh Shahshahani, distinguished Iranian legal scholar who worked formerly for the ACLU and now for Project South
- We’ll also hear from our National Political Committee and other national campaign committees with information on specific actions your chapter can take within the week to stop a war.
In the meantime, we urge you to call or visit your representatives’ offices in groups or as individuals, or if they are supporting the drive to war, organize protests on their doorsteps.
Demand they support:
- The Barbara Lee and Ilhan Omar War Powers House resolution
- Ro Khanna re-introduced House bill blocking war funding and Bernie Sanders’s companion bill in the Senate
You can find your House representative’s contact information here. For the Senate, you can use the directory here. State that you are a constituent, that you are against war with Iran, why you personally are for the bills, and then ask “Will you/will the Congresswo/man or Senator support these bills?”
You can read our DSA National Political Committee statement for more information. Our campus branch, Young Democratic Socialists of America, has also released a statement and call to action by their Internationalism Committee.
Contact your local DSA chapter to find out about actions in your area. And if your chapter is having a #NoWarWithIran action, or you’d like rally posters for friends and neighbors, you can order union-made No War in Iran posters, stickers, buttons and t-shirts at-cost from our DSA swag store. Bulk orders and overnight shipping are available for chapter rallies and local organizing. Overnight shipping is available.
We will update this page as the situation unfolds.