Here’s your November Dispatch! This month, check out DSA electoral wins, an international labor panel, and more. Read on to get involved.
And to make sure you get our newsletters in your inbox, sign up here! Each one features action alerts, upcoming events, political education, and more.
- From Maria — Thankful for the DSA Difference
- Sunday 11/12 — Join our National Labor Commission and International Committee for Autoworkers of the Americas!
- Updates from the Green New Deal Campaign Commission
- Statement: DSA Condemns the Censure of Congresswoman Rashida Tlaib
- RSVP for Still Here Still Queer: Queer Socialist Work in DSA Wednesday 11/15
- Housing Justice Commission Steering Committee Applications Open! Deadline Friday 11/17
- Check Out our DSA Store Relaunch!
- Sign Up for Red Rabbits Security Trainings
- Work for DSA! Positions Available
From Maria — Thankful for the DSA Difference
I am so thankful for you.
Together, DSA members have…
- Mobilized members to picket lines across the country to support numerous successful strikes in 2023, including those of Teamsters, UNITE-HERE, SEIU, WGA, and many others, most recently (pending contract ratification votes) UAW and SAG-AFTRA workers. This year has seen the largest number of striking workers since the 1990s.
- Organized over 1,000 members to make 220,000 calls to generate pressure on Congress for a ceasefire, with 22 Representatives as of now signed on to the Ceasefire Now resolution.
- Brought hundreds of members to Washington, D.C. to demand a ceasefire and an end to the massacre in Palestine, and to numerous local protests and direct actions.
- Passed multiple union resolutions calling for a ceasefire.
- This Tuesday, elected ten nationally endorsed candidates to local office in Washington, New Mexico, Minnesota, New York and Massachusetts, and dozens more locally endorsed candidates across the country, including multi-candidate slates for governing bodies and landslides for two incumbents in New York City, epicenter of the backlash to our stance in solidarity with Gaza.
- Drove or contributed major voter contact muscle to multiple ballot initiative victories:
- Protecting abortion by enshrining the right in the Ohio constitution
- Blocking funds to build a “cop city” police training facility in Colorado Springs
- Expanding democracy on the Houston city council
- Protecting our landmark rent control measures from the Portland, Maine landlord lobby’s second rollback attempt
DSA is dangerous to the ruling class.
We are a triple threat — building multiracial, internationalist working class power in the political arena, the economic arena, and in the streets. And we do it by funding ourselves and acting as we find strategic, not wealthy funders, even in the face of relentless intimidation.
This weekend, warmongers in both parties will celebrate veterans while continuing to make policy decisions that send our siblings to war and starve and rain bombs on civilians. DSA will stand with our comrade Representative Rashida Tlaib instead, the only Palestinian-American member of the House, under bipartisan attack for shining a light on genocide.
In solidarity forever,
DSA National Director
Sunday 11/12 — Join our National Labor Commission and International Committee for Autoworkers of the Americas!
Labor work and internationalism go hand in hand! Join DSA Labor on Sunday 11/12 at 7pm ET/6pm CT/5pm MT/4pm PT for Autoworkers of the Americas. On the call, you’ll hear from workers in the US, Canada, Mexico and Brazil on international solidarity in the auto industry. RSVP today!
Updates from the Green New Deal Campaign Commission
Statement: DSA Condemns the Censure of Congresswoman Rashida Tlaib
This week, in a shameful bipartisan attack, the U.S. House of Representatives voted 234-188 to censure Congresswoman and DSA member Rashida Tlaib of Detroit. Tlaib, the only Palestinian-American member of the House, has shown immense bravery in exposing the truth about Israel’s ongoing genocide of Palestinians while she endures vicious and racist attacks, which now extend to the halls of government. She stands strong alongside fellow DSA member and Representative Cori Bush of St. Louis as an original co-author of the Ceasefire NOW resolution. And like Rashida, we will not back down. You can read our full statement here.
RSVP for Still Here Still Queer: Queer Socialist Work in DSA Wednesday 11/15
The Queer Socialists Working Group invites all comrades to join us for our first Still Here, Still Queer educational event on Wednesday 11/15 at 8pm ET/7pm CT/6pm MT/5pm PT. This event will highlight the work being done to advance queer rights by several DSA chapters. The registration link can be found here. There will be excellent discussion of queer activity, and how you too can fight for queer liberation in your own chapters and working groups!
Housing Justice Commission Steering Committee Applications Open! Deadline Friday 11/17
The Housing Justice Commission is getting ready to elect a new Steering Committee! If you are interested in becoming a candidate, please fill out this form no later than Friday, 11/17 at 11:59pm PT. Elections will be held 12/1-12/8, and the new term starts on 12/15. Not ready to become a candidate, but you’re interested in HJC’s work? Sign up here!
Check Out our DSA Store Relaunch!
Check out our updated DSA store! Featuring union-made apparel, buttons, posters, and more, the new store is now more intuitive and easier to use. Be on the lookout early next week for new items!
And now you can find chapter items through the store as well! When you buy chapter merch, proceeds go directly to the chapter.
Sign Up for Red Rabbits Security Trainings
The Red Rabbits is reorganizing with a mission to provide security training to every group in DSA, regardless of size or location. These trainings include:
- a basic InfoSec course for anyone holding the password to official DSA social media or member lists
- marshal training on providing physical safety for in-person and virtual meetings
- advanced marshal tactics and strategies when participating in direct actions and public events
We need to change DSA’s security culture, and above all ensure that we remain safe and capable of working on a socialist future together.
We need all hands on deck, so please designate a security contact and we’ll be in touch. Our primary aim is to begin by providing training to everyone who holds access to member lists and social media accounts. Please reach out to [email protected] for more details, or fill out the contact form here.
Work for DSA! Positions Available
Join our team! Available Positions:
- Finance Director: If you’re a financial expert with a strategic mindset and the ability to lead, we want to hear from you.
- Data and Technology Manager: Do you thrive in a tech-driven environment and have a knack for managing data and technology resources? This role might be perfect for you.
- Development Database Coordinator: Attention to detail and organization are your strengths. Join us to support our development efforts and make a real impact.
Application Deadline: November 26, 2023
For inquiries or more information, please contact [email protected].