Enjoy your August Dispatch! This month you can get involved with our immigrants’ rights organizing, take action for labor solidarity, learn about terrific new organizing resolutions passed at our Convention, and meet our new National Political Committee. Read on for more!
- From Maria: Hit the Ground Running
- Thursday 8/19 — Connect with our Immigrants’ Rights Working Group!
- BDS and Palestine Solidarity Working Group Starts BDS School for Organizers — Sign Up by Friday 8/20
- Sunday 8/22 — Join DSA4USPS for Dump DeJoy Call
- Support Striking Nurses Now!
- Convention Highlights — Meet Your National Political Committee, Exciting New DSA Work, Campaign Updates, and More
- Welcome New Chapter and OCs
FROM MARIA: HIT THE GROUND RUNNING
We live in dangerous times, so we hit the ground running after our national convention! Over 500 members joined Congressman Jamaal Bowman on Tuesday night to launch our Green New Deal for Public Schools campaign. More signed up to join us for phonebanks.
Between the homicidal mask policies of Republican politicians, pandemic income supports expiring, and the new climate report about accelerating heating, I’m grateful every day to know DSA members are organizing all over the country to attack the root cause: the drive for corporate profits, a drive which is inherent to the capitalist economic system. It will take a mass working class movement to turn things around and DSA plays a critical role.
Over our week-long convention, over 1,400 delegates and alternates debated next steps for DSA. Besides a number of campaign priorities, delegates committed to practical structural improvements that can strengthen the organization. As we grow and mature, this is how we ensure we are as effective as possible. After all, we have a duty to win!
DSA National Director
THURSDAY 8/19 — CONNECT WITH OUR IMMIGRANTS’ RIGHTS WORKING GROUP!
These meetings are an opportunity to hear about what you and your chapters are doing and to connect our work. This month’s agenda will include updates from our 2021 National DSA Convention.
IRWG monthly membership meetings are on the 3rd Thursday of the month at 8pm ET/7pm CT/6pm MT/5pm PT.
BDS AND PALESTINE SOLIDARITY WORKING GROUP STARTS BDS SCHOOL FOR ORGANIZERS — SIGN UP BY FRIDAY 8/20
Join the DSA BDS and Palestine Solidarity Working Group’s first BDS School! We will be joined by the top BDS organizers and trainers around the world to create a space of education, conversation, and mobilization around Palestine solidarity work through the lens of the BDS movement and socialism.
The BDS School starts Saturday, 8/21. You can find a full class schedule and more details here.
SUNDAY 8/22 — JOIN DSA4USPS FOR DUMP DEJOY CALL
A Trump crony and Republican mega-donor, DeJoy has launched a Ten-Year Plan (“Delivering for America”) featuring mail delays, price hikes, closures of mail facilities, and privatization schemes. DeJoy wants price hikes in August, mail delays in place by September, closures by November, and privatization ongoing.
This webinar provides an in depth look at why we need to remove DeJoy and how we’re going to do it. On the call, you’ll hear about
- Postal Service: Beverly Cowling (former letter carrier, supervisor, now small business shipper, St. Louis & Huntsville)
- Working Conditions: Chandler Hull (current letter carrier, Portland OR)
- The Ten-Year Plan (and some corruption/criminality): Dave Yao (clerk, local VP, Seattle)
- Organizing the Fightback: Kimberly Karol (clerk and state president, Iowa)
This call is sponsored by DSA4USPS, a subcommittee of the Democratic Socialist Labor Commission. Join us!
SUPPORT STRIKING NURSES NOW!
Have you heard about the second longest nurses strike in Massachusetts history? You can support striking nurses now! Nearly five months after their strike began, 700 nurses are still on strike and standing strong at St. Vincent Hospital in Worcester, MA. The hospital owner, Tenet, continues to put corporate greed over the needs of hospital workers and patients.
Tenet Healthcare is one of the largest for-profit hospital chains in the United States and has spent over $75 million in attempts to weaken the strike by hiring scabs, paying for a constant police presence at the picket line, and spreading misinformation through mailers and newspapers. By spending over $75 million, Tenet has made it clear that this fight is about power. Tenet hospital workers are organizing across the country, and Tenet knows that the outcome of the St. Vincent strike will impact that organizing. That’s why it’s crucial that this strike leads to a victory.
Solidarity is the only way to win. The nurses can’t do this alone. They need your financial help. Please help the 700 nurses win their fight to ensure patient safety by donating $50, $20, $5 or whatever you can afford to their strike fund today! With your support, the nurses of St. Vincent Hospital can win this fight against corporate greed!
CONVENTION HIGHLIGHTS — MEET YOUR NATIONAL POLITICAL COMMITTEE, EXCITING NEW DSA WORK, CAMPAIGN UPDATES, AND MORE
Meet your 2021-2023 National Political Committee (NPC)! The NPC is DSA’s primary political leadership. This 16-person body functions as the board of directors of DSA and is elected every two years by the delegates to DSA’s National Convention.
The newly-elected NPC includes DSAers with years of organizing experience — from large-scale union organizing in Puerto Rico, to national DSA Green New Deal, PRO Act, Medicare for All, and electoral work, to national and local mutual aid.
National Political Committee Members, 2021-2023
*Indicates Interim Steering Committee members.
- Aaron Warner, Los Angeles, CA
- Ashik Siddique, Metro DC, DC
- Austin González, Richmond, VA
- Gilman Bagga, Louisville, KY
- *Gustavo Gordillo, New York City, NY
- *Jen McKinney, Eugene, OR
- *Jennifer Bolen, San Francisco, CA
- Jose Alejandro La Luz, New York City, NY
- *Justin Charles, New York City, NY
- Kara Hall, Las Vegas, NV
- *Kristian Hernandez, North Texas, TX
- Laura Gabby, New York City, NY
- Matt Miller, Boston, MA
- Sabrina Chan, Chicago, IL
- Sofia Guimarães Cutler, Northern NJ, NJ
- Sydney Ghazarian, Los Angeles, CA
And delegates passed exciting resolutions to support our current work, begin new campaigns to build working class power, and make structural improvements to make our organization stronger. Winning resolutions include:
- a mass campaign to protect voting rights and stop voter suppression in Black and Brown communities in particular, as well as working class communities broadly
- a Housing Justice Commission resolution to prioritize tenant organizing
- Medicare for All organizing from state and local campaigns to national legislation
- Green New Deal and labor organizing priorities, including PRO Act organizing and developing strategic campaigns to help build union power in the South
And check out these videos from our panelists and speakers — including Rashida Tlaib, India Walton, Astra Taylor, and Jeremy Corbyn! This playlist also includes great organizing and information sessions from our national priority campaigns and working groups. Enjoy!
WELCOME NEW CHAPTER AND OCS
We’re proud to introduce our latest chapter, North Sound, WA, and our newest Organizing Committees, Luzerne County, PA and Cedar Rapids, IA! Welcome!