5 Ways You Can Grow the Left this Holiday Season
1. Support the Socialist Press! The socialist movement has long relied on a robust and independent socialist press that helps us clarify and make sense of the world. Today the socialist press is growing but these independent publishers need your support! We encourage you to buy subscriptions to Jacobin, Dissent Magazine, In These Times, New Politics or n+1 magazine. Many DSA members write for these small but serious magazines and journals and many more benefit from their insightful political commentary. A subscription also makes for a great gift!
2. Buy Socialist Books! Theory and practice baby! Socialists tend to be big book nerds and that’s a good thing! Consider buying your friends and family some good leftist reading materiel for arming the brain for the class struggle! If you pop over to Verso Books you’ll see they are having a HUGE end of the year sale — 50% off all titles! With prices like these who needs full-communism?
3. Support NoDAPL! The fight to block the Dakota Access Pipeline recently won a significant battle in their struggle to protect the water and land of the Standing Rock Sioux. But the struggle is far from over. Visit these sites and see how you can donate or contribute to help sustain the movement: NoDAPL Solidarity, Stand With Standing Rock, NoDAPL Life. Water Is Life and movements need solidarity.
4. Support the Immigrants Rights and Sanctuary Movement! Donald Trump’s election puts the lives of immigrants across the country at risk. Luckily we can help fight back. Already there have been major initiatives to form or maintain sanctuary churches, cities and now campuses to help protect our immigrant sisters and brothers. Join the fight by checking out local sanctuary initiatives and volunteering with immigrant rights organizations. If you are a DSA member you can contact the Immigration Committee of the DSA Anti-Racism Working Group (DSA ARWG). Send e mail to [email protected] for more info. Together we can stop Trump and build a powerful movement for the future.
5. Join DSA! Or Pay A Fellow-Traveler’s Dues! DSA is the largest socialist organization in the country. We are democratic, member funded and member run. It is going to take organized and grassroots power to build a successful opposition to Trump and a base for radical politics that can challenge the ruling class. Your dues help to build a stronger organization and a stronger socialist movement. Consider becoming a member today or if you know someone who is interested in becoming a member consider offering to pay their dues!
Individually signed posts do not necessarily reflect the views of DSA as an organization or its leadership. Democratic Left blog post submission guidelines can be found here.