Updated May 2020
Resolution #55 – Grassroots Fundraising and Small Chapter Growth, passed at the 2019 DSA National Convention, states that the Quarterly Dues Share between DSA Headquarters and local chapters, incorporated and unincorporated, shall be calculated as follows:
- 30% of the average monthly dues contribution from the first 50 chapter members
- 25% of the average monthly dues share from the next 51-200 members
- 20% of the next 201 members and up.
The new calculation gives a slightly higher percentage of the monthly dues share to chapters with less than 250 monthly dues donors compared to previous dues shares calculation.
Resolution #55 mandates, among other things, that any unincorporated chapter shall receive their dues share allocation for up to two years or until they incorporate, by means other than through transfer to a chapter bank account.
The NPC voted at their October meeting to use the following process: pre-paid Pex cards.*
*Please note the cards will be assigned only to chapter treasurers as verified with chapter leadership. As these are prepaid cards, they will not be tied to a treasurer’s personal finances; however, for security reasons we will need the assignee’s birthday.
Email by June 30, 2020 deadline to receive 2020 Second Quarter dues sharing. For more information, you can contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The DSA headquarters continue disbursing shares of monthly dues to incorporated chapters with bank accounts on a quarterly basis, within 4 weeks of the close of the quarter.
Sunsetting of alternative dues shares practices
Any previous informal practices regarding dues collection with a handful of chapters were phased out after the 2017 DSA National Convention in August, 2017.
Incorporated Chapters – Documentation
In order for chapters to receive their share of dues, chapters must:
- Send their current treasurer’s full name, email address, and phone number to email@example.com and update DSA HQ of changes to the treasurer position within 10 business days of said change.
- Send the following documentation via signal (email firstname.lastname@example.org for the number):
- The chapter’s EIN (IRS letter or electronic notice), AND
- The bank or credit union account in chapter’s name (Can be sent with a photo of a voided check or bank/credit union statement and the bank/credit union’s name, routing number, and account number.)
2020 Dues Shares Schedule
- 2019 Quarter 4 Dues Share — February 6, 2020, Thursday
- 2020 Quarter 1 Dues Share — May 7, 2020, Thursday
- 2020 Quarter 2 Dues Share — August 6, 2020, Thursday
- 2020 Quarter 3 Dues Share — November 5, 2020, Thursday
- 2020 Quarter 4 Dues Share — February 4, 2021, Thursday
Guidance on Incorporation and Opening a Bank Account
Please see the chapter incorporation kit.