Join our Pre-OC/OC Office Hours call on the second Tuesday of each month at 7:30pm EST!
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for the registration link.
- Can I get the tax ID number of DSA to set up a bank account for my chapter?
- How does my chapter receive its share of monthly member dues?
- Is DSA a 501c3 or 501c4?
- Our group is just starting to organize. Do you have online materials to help?
- Can I get a list of all members in my area so I can contact them?
- I have organizing questions that are specific to my area. Who should I ask for help?
- I’m organizing a new group in my area. What do we need to apply for Organizing Committee (OC) status?
- I’m leading an Organizing Committee (OC) that has over 15 dues-paying members. What do we need to file for Chapter status?
- My chapter is having elections soon. How do I get a full list of active members?
- My OC/Chapter wants to reserve meeting space in a library/public building, and we need to prove our non-profit status to do so. How do we get a copy of DSA’s tax letter?
- Can my OC/chapter get an official @dsausa.org email address?
- We have new contact information or have a new website or social media account we want posted to the DSA Chapters webpage. How do we get our info updated?
- How do I get members of my OC/Chapter added to DSA Activist?
- We are having an event/meeting/rally, and I want to order swag. How can I get some?
- We want to create our own swag specific to our chapter/OC. Are we allowed to do that?
- We submitted an Organizing Committee or Chapter application and the national website has not been updated yet.
- How do I file my chapter‘s taxes?
A: We recommend that chapters incorporate, obtain your Employer Identification Number, open a bank account in your chapter‘s name, and complete Form 8976 to let the IRS know you intend to operate as a 501c4. See the incorporation kit for step by step guidance. If your chapter is not incorporated, you can ask for national DSA to share proof of our tax exemption with vendors so that you may get tax-free goods or services, or space for free or at a reduced cost.
Q: How does my chapter receive its share of monthly member dues?
A: Check out our guide to chapter dues sharing and send the required documentation to begin receiving 20% of monthly dues paid in your chapter‘s jurisdiction on a quarterly basis. The more members you ask to switch to monthly dues, the more their dues will go to support your chapter‘s organizing.
A: DSA is a 501c4. There is a second organization, Democratic Socialists of America Fund, which is a 501c3 and does educational work. Sometimes DSA makes a request for a grant from the DSA Fund to cover 501c3 permissible educational projects by DSA. There is also a federal PAC called DSA PAC.
A: Yes! Our organizing blog has downloadable handouts, articles, and tips. DSA also has educational webinars and conference calls on an ongoing basis. Check the calendar regularly. We also offer online activist skills trainings and Pre-OC/OC Organizing Office Hours calls on the second Tuesday of each month at 7:30pm EST. Please email email@example.com if you’re interested in registering for an upcoming call. The Office Hours calls are hosted by Sam, one of our seasoned volunteer organizers. Although organizing is the focus of the Office Hours call, DSA staff member Lisa Flores is also available to field administrative questions.
A: Yes, we send them to one designated person in chapters and OCs. We do NOT send member lists to pre-OCs.
A: You can attend a monthly Pre-OC/OC Q&A Office Hours calls. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for a registration link.
If you’re already a nationally recognized OC or chapter, contact your regional field organizer with national DSA. To find out who that is, email email@example.com.
A: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
A: If your group is already an approved OC, please contact your chapter application pipeline point person for further instructions. If you’re not sure who your point person is, email email@example.com.
A: Chapters and OCs that are listed on the national website map may fill out this form using their official email address listed on the website. Make sure to allow at least a week for our database coordinator to assemble the list.
A: First, make sure that the library accepts 501c4 tax letters, not just 501c3. All DSA meetings fall under our 501c4 activities so that is the letter we must provide. If the library accepts 501c4 letters, send a request for 501c4 letter to firstname.lastname@example.org that includes your group’s name, why the library needs the tax letter (i.e. reserving meeting space) and the contact information for the person at the library who receives tax letters. The national office will submit the letter directly to the library for you.
A: No. Unfortunately the national office does not have the capacity, nor the money, to create and maintain dsausa.org email addresses for local groups. We strongly suggest you make your own group email address so no one’s personal email is listed on our website, such as XDSA@gmail.com. We also suggest creating a group phone number (using Google Voice or similar program) so no one’s personal phone number is listed on our website.
A: Send any updated information (contact information, new webpages, changes in leadership) to email@example.com. Please remember to update Lisa when you have elections and change leadership, too.
A: We now have a DSA member-only discussion board and are no longer adding people to the DSA Activist listserv. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with problems.
If you’re a chapter, OC, or Pre-OC leader and want to order bundles of the current issue of Democratic Left for your group’s activities, you should have received a link to a request form via email from Lisa. If you can’t find it, or if you want to order bundles of previous issues, email email@example.com.
A: Yes! However we need you to follow certain specifications:
- Swag must be made either by union printers with union materials (and stamped with a union bug) or made with donated labor and be noted as such with “labor donated”.
- Swag design should follow our design guidelines.
- If you need help with design, contact the design team at dsa.design.committee (at) gmail (dot) com.
A: This means either the National Political Committee has not voted on it yet or the national staff has not completed the administrative work to get it on the website.
Please see our one page guide here.