This call will lay out a broad picture of how capitalism created the COVID-19 crisis: from ecological disasters of unfettered capitalism; to a pharmaceutical industry fueled by profits not healthcare; to the gutting of healthcare, public health funding, and social safety nets; to the shameful response of the government — they sacrificed our lives and loved ones for their profits. This discussion will delve into the causes and character of the crisis, and its implications for the future of our world. RSVP here for call access information.
Primary reading and listening:
- Mike Davis: https://jacobinmag.com/2020/03/mike-davis-coronavirus-outbreak-capitalism-left-international-solidarity
- Rob Wallace: https://monthlyreview.org/press/who-should-we-blame-for-coronavirus-rob-wallace-has-some-answers/
Further reading and listening:
- Sharon Lerner : https://theintercept.com/2020/03/13/big-pharma-drug-pricing-coronavirus-profits/
- Rob Wallace, Alex Liebman, Luis Fernando Chaves & Rodrick Wallace : https://monthlyreview.org/2020/03/27/covid-19-and-circuits-of-capital/
- Mike Davis: https://www.thedigradio.com/podcast/mike-davis-on-coronavirus-politics/