THE NATIONAL POLITICAL COMMITTEE
DSA’s primary political leadership is the National Political Committee (NPC), a sixteen-person body which functions as the board of directors of DSA and is elected every two years by the delegates to DSA’s National Convention. Every DSA chapter is entitled to send a certain number of delegates to the National Convention, based upon the chapter’s size. There are also “at-large” delegates to represent areas where there are no active chapters.
- requires that eight slots of the NPC be reserved for women, and that at least five of the NPC slots be reserved for people of color.
- gives the NPC the power to charter DSA locals and commissions, as well as DSA’s Youth Section.
- guides and leads the implementation of DSA’s major political and organizational goals, which are broadly defined every two years by the delegates to the National Convention
- gives instructions to the national staff about how to carry forward DSA’s day-to-day work.
- creates task forces and committees to guide particular areas of DSA’s political work.
- conducts long weekend meetings four times each year.
- elects five of its members to serve on the Steering Committee (SC). The SC can be emailed at sc(at)dsausa.org. SC members’ names are marked with an asterisk in the list below.
National Political Committee Members, 2021-2023.
*Indicates Interim Steering Committee members.
Contact the NPC at: npc(at)dsausa.org
- Aaron Warner, Los Angeles, CA
- Ashik Siddique, Metro DC, DC
- Austin González, Richmond, VA
- Gilman Bagga, Louisville, KY
- *Gustavo Gordillo, New York City, NY
- *Jen McKinney, Eugene, OR
- *Jennifer Bolen, San Francisco, CA
- Jose Alejandro La Luz, New York City, NY
- *Justin Charles, New York City, NY
- Kara Hall, Las Vegas, NV
- *Kristian Hernandez, North Texas, TX
- Laura Gabby, New York City, NY
- Matt Miller, Boston, MA
- Sabrina Chan, Chicago, IL
- Sofia Guimarães Cutler, Northern NJ, NJ
- Sydney Ghazarian, Los Angeles, CA
- *Cyn Huang, YDSA Co-Chair
- *Sarandon Elliot, YDSA Co-Chair
Young Democratic Socialists of America National Coordinating Committee
*Cyn Huang, Co-Chair
*Sarandon Elliot, Co-Chair
Democratic Left Magazine | dlmagazine(at)dsausa.org
Maxine Phillips, Editor
Medicare For All Steering Committee | medicareforall(at)dsausa.org
Democratic Socialist Labor Commission | DSLC(at)dsausa.org
National Electoral Committee | elections(at)dsausa.org
DSA Weekly Blog
Maxine Phillips, Editor
Visual Design | visualdesign(at)dsausa.org
The DSA and DSA Fund national offices are located in New York City and Washington D.C.
DSA staff does not set the organization’s political goals. Rather, staff helps to fulfill the goals set by DSA’s elected volunteer leadership.
- National Director, Maria, coordinates with staff to carry out the basic work of the organization and the strategic plan developed by the convention delegates and National Political Committee.
- Assistant to the National Director, Heidi
- Finance Coordinator, Chris
- Revenue Bookkeeper, Tom
- Operations Director, Kristina, ensures our compliance with regulatory rules and improves our general efficiency.
- Organizing Director, Glenn
- Organizing Manager, Amy
- Field Organizers support and organize DSA chapters and organizing committees including coordinating national leadership trainings for DSA members. Contact them at [email protected].
- Alec : IA, IL, IN, KY, MI, MO, OH
- Beni: MN, OK, OR, TX, WA, WI
- Eric: CT, DC, DE, MA, MD, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT
- Garrick: AK, AZ, CA, CO, HI, NM, NV, UT, WY
- Kaitlin: AL, AR, FL, GA, LA, MS, NC, SC, TN, VA, WV
- Amy and Glenn: ID, KS, MT, ND, NE, SD
- Anna and Kaleb: YDSA chapters
- Internal Communications and Digital Organizing Coordinator, Claudia, oversees member outreach, coordination of DSA publications, and digital organizing.
- Communications Director, Chris
- Program Associate – Creative Assets, Rachel
- Conventions and Conferences Coordinator, Michael
- Database Coordinator, Eileen, oversees our membership database and its use in chapter organizing and fundraising/renewals.
- Data and Technology Manager, Rebecca
- Full-Stack Developer, Kalil
- Development Director, Emma
- External Communications Program Associate, Priscilla
- Questions about volunteering: [email protected]
- Compliance Manager, Brandon
- Program Associate – Membership, Elizabeth
- Program Associate – Events & Retention, Zachariah
- Office Coordinator, Maura
- Chapter Pipeline Coordinator, Dana
- Questions about pre-OC, OC, and chapter applications: [email protected]
- National Grievance and Harassment Officer, Paula Brantner (outside contractor): [email protected]
- Our harassment policy, Resolution 33, was passed in 2017 and amended in 2021 at the DSA National Convention.
- You can find the harassment policy text here.
- Regarding Harassment, Bullying and Conflict Resolution in DSA