THE NATIONAL POLITICAL COMMITTEE
DSA’s primary political leadership is the National Political Committee (NPC), a sixteen-person body which functions as the board of directors of DSA and is elected every two years by the delegates to DSA’s National Convention. Every DSA chapter is entitled to send a certain number of delegates to the National Convention, based upon the chapter’s size. There are also “at-large” delegates to represent areas where there are no active chapters.
- requires that eight slots of the NPC be reserved for women, and that at least five of the NPC slots be reserved for people of color.
- gives the NPC the power to charter DSA locals and commissions, as well as DSA’s Youth Section.
- guides and leads the implementation of DSA’s major political and organizational goals, which are broadly defined every two years by the delegates to the National Convention
- gives instructions to the national staff about how to carry forward DSA’s day-to-day work.
- creates task forces and committees to guide particular areas of DSA’s political work.
- conducts long weekend meetings four times each year.
- elects five of its members to serve on the Steering Committee (SC). The SC can be emailed at sc(at)dsausa.org.
National Political Committee Members, 2017-2019
Contact the NPC at: npc(at)dsausa.org
- Ravi Ahmad, Los Angeles, CA
- Theresa Alt (Secretary-Treasurer), Ithaca, NY
- Dele Balogun, Chicago, IL
- Alex Birnel, San Antonio, TX
- Christian Bowe, Central New Jersey
- Allie Cohn, Knoxville, TN
- Marianela D’Aprile, Chicago, IL
- Zac Echola, Red River Valley, MN/ND
- Jeremy Gong, East Bay, CA
- Catherine Hoffman, Detroit, MI
- Jack Suria Linares, Los Angeles, CA
- Ella Mahony, New York City
- Chris Maisano, New York City
- Natalie Midiri, Philadelphia, PA
- Christine Riddiough, Washington, DC
- Joseph Schwartz, Philadelphia, PA
- Ajmal Alami, YDSA Co-Chair
- Eliott Geary, YDSA Co-Chair
Young Democratic Socialists of America National Coordinating Committee
Ajmal Alami, Co-Chair
Eliott Geary, Co-Chair
Democratic Left Magazine | dlmagazine(at)dsausa.org
Maxine Phillips, Editor
Medicare For All Steering Committee | medicareforall(at)dsausa.org
Jeremy Gong (chair)
Democratic Socialist Labor Commission | DSLC(at)dsausa.org
National Electoral Committee | elections(at)dsausa.org
Christian Bowe (co-chair)
DSA Weekly Blog
Maxine Phillips, Editor
Talking Union Blog Editorial Committee | talkingunion(at)dsausa.org
The Activist Blog (#TheActivistYDS) | yds(at)dsausa.org
Visual Design | visualdesign(at)dsausa.org
Dustin Guastella, Visual Design Coordinator
The DSA and DSA Fund national offices in New York City and Washington D.C. have eight full time staff members, two part time. The staff does not set DSA’s political goals. Rather, staff helps to fulfill the goals set by DSA’s elected volunteer leadership.
Staff do all-hands-on-deck planning and carrying out major events: the national convention every two years, the annual YDSA winter outreach conference, the annual YDSA convention, quarterly NPC meetings, etc.
- National Director, Maria Svart, coordinates with staff to carry out the basic work of the organization and the strategic plan developed by the convention delegates and National Political Committee.
- Operations Director (part time), Sasha Hammad, ensures our compliance with regulatory rules and improves our general efficiency.
- Financial Manager (part time), Fatou Camara, manages our books, enters income and expenses, and provides reports.
- Field Organizer, Hannah Allison, supports and organizes DSA chapters and organizing committees including coordinating national leadership trainings for DSA members.
- Field Organizer, Ryan Mosgrove, based in Washington, D.C. office, supports and organizes Young Democratic Socialists of America chapters.
- Field Organizer, Anna Bonomo, based in Washington, D.C. office, organizes Young Democratic Socialists of America chapters.
- Questions about campus chapters: yds(at)dsausa.org
- Grassroots Fundraising and Member Engagement Coordinator, Claudia Cahill, oversees renewals and other fundraising campaigns, internal communications, and digital organizing.
- Database Coordinator, Eileen Casterline, oversees our membership database and its use in chapter organizing and fundraising/renewals.
- Program Associate, Lawrence Dreyfuss, supports all aspects of national DSA’s work including swag, new chapter organizing, Zoom call accounts, and NYC office volunteers to send new member letters, etc.
- Questions about swag or volunteering: volunteer(at)dsausa.org
- Administrative and Office Coordinator, Lisa Flores, makes sure everything in the office runs smoothly and responds to member inquiries or connects members with the appropriate staff.