DSA is hiring a student organizer for the Young Democratic Socialists, deadline to apply May 3rd.
YDS is an organization of campus-based chapters and regionally-based groupings of younger (under 30) socialists who wish to develop a political and cultural space of their own, yet one that is an integral part of DSA. The organizer works out of DSA’s national office in New York City and travels throughout the United States to speak to both new and experienced YDS campus chapters, as well as to independent progressive students interested in learning about democratic socialism. The position includes work for both DSA and for our affiliated 501(c)3, the Democratic Socialists of America Fund.
- Organize an annual winter outreach conference and an annual summer conference for current members and chapters, in collaboration with the elected and volunteer leadership of Young Democratic socialists (YDS)
- Recruit new members and assist in the formation of new chapters of YDS
- Facilitate the ongoing political work of the members and chapters of YDS
- Provide staff support, especially leadership development, for YDS Represent YDS at conferences and meetings of other radical activists
- Participate in meetings of the DSA National Political Committee and serve as a liaison between YDS and DSA’s locals and commissions
- Report to and assist DSA’s National Director as needed
- Be grounded in democratic socialist politics and history; general agreement with the positions and perspectives of YDS and DSA
- Experience organizing campus, labor, political, or community-based groups and events
- Excellent public speaking, communication, writing, and computer skills
- Strong time management skills and ability to use limited resources effectively
- Thorough understanding of academic settings, politics, and calendars at secondary and post-secondary levels
- Ability to work effectively with young people from diverse backgrounds
- Commitment to feminist, anti-racist, and anti-heterosexist principles and action
- Willing and able to travel extensively around the United States on a moderate budget
- Available to start work in New York City by mid-June of 2013 (or earlier)
- Sense of humor
- Fund-raising experience
- Web design, HTML, database, and graphic design experience and skills
- Bilingual Spanish and English speaker
Starting Salary: $30k+; full benefit package with regular salary increases; 3 weeks paid vacation.
Application deadline: May 3, 2013. DSA is an equal opportunity employer.
Email resume and statement of how your qualifications make you a good candidate for this position to: Maria Svart, National Director, DSA, msvart (at) dsausa.org. Please send attachments in Microsoft Word.