How is socialist organizing different from other activism? How can you do effective work to build the mass movements while being an "out" socialist? Join us for the first of a year long series of organizing trainings for democratic socialist activists: DSA’s (Virtual) Little Red Schoolhouse.
- Steve Max, DSA Vice Chair and one of the founders of the legendary community organizing school, The Midwest Academy
Part of a DSA/YDS chapter? Want to build a DSA/YDS group? Or just want to know how to be an effective, “out” socialist organizer? This foundational workshop will give you a critical framework to understand subsequent trainings throughout the year.
We are living through difficult economic times, and more and more people are open to socialist ideas. However, because of corporate ownership of the mainstream media, the only way people will find out about democratic socialism is if DSA members are visible in the progressive movement. Furthermore, we bring an important structural analysis of our undemocratic political and economic systems to progressive activists, and by explaining what democratic socialism really means, we help keep the political debate honest and prevent it from sliding too very far to the right.
Introduction to Socialist Campaign Strategy will cover:
- What is a campaign, what is a campaign strategy, and why are they critical?
- How is strategy different from tactics?
- What differentiates democratic socialist campaign strategy?
- How do you find and work with a local coalition as an “out” socialist group or individual?
- How do you launch a DSA specific campaign?
- Workshops are free for any DSA member in good standing.
- Workshops will be via free webinar, so you need a computer with internet access.
- Your computer must have microphone and speakers, or you can follow along on the phone via conference call, but you will have to pay for any long distance charges.
- You can participate in every one, since each workshop builds on the previous ones, or just attend once in a while.
- Workshops will be the fourth Saturday of each month from 3:00-4:30pm Eastern Standard Time.
- Participation requires that you register at least 48 hours in advance.
NOTE: This training is scheduled for 3-4:30pm Eastern Time.