Practice talking about socialism in plain language. Create your own short rap. Prepare for those conversations about socialism that happen when you table for Bernie Sanders.
Join us for our latest organizing training for democratic socialist activists: DSA’s (Virtual) Little Red Schoolhouse.
This training is at 3:00pm Eastern, 2:00pm Central, 1:00pm Mountain, noon Pacific, 11:00am Alaska, and 10:00am Hawaii Time. Please RSVP.
Steve Max, DSA Vice Chair and one of the founders of the legendary community organizing school, The Midwest Academy
In Talking About Socialism you will learn to:
• Have a concise explanation of what DSA does, for your next DSA table, event or coalition meeting.
• Have a quick response ready to go next time someone asks you about democratic socialism.
• Create your own elevator pitch about democratic socialism and DSA.
• Use your personal experience and story to explain democratic socialism.
• Think through the most important ideas you want to convey about democratic socialism.
• Workshops are free for any DSA member in good standing.
• If you have a computer with microphone, speakers and good internet access, you can join via internet for free.
• Or, you can follow the webinar visuals by internet but get sound via phone conference call, which may mean long distance charges.
• Or, you can request the slides in advance and listen via phone.
• You can participate in every workshop, since each one builds on the previous ones, or just attend once in a while.
• Workshops will generally be on first or second Saturdays of each month.
• This training is at 3:00pm Eastern, 2:00pm Central, 1:00pm Mountain, noon Pacific, 11:00am Alaska, and 10:00am Hawaii Time.
• Participation requires that you register at least 36 hours in advance.
Feb 18, 2015 DSA New Member Orientation Call: 8 PM EST, 7 PM CST, 5 PM PST
You've joined DSA - great. Now register for this call and learn more about our politics and, more importantly, how you can become involved.
DSA On-Line Virtual “Socialist School” Course
The course will be 1.5 hours during the 7 – 10 PM EST slot on Feb 24, Mar 24, April 28 and May 26.
There will be either one or two sessions each night, depending on the number of members who sign up. Sign up deadline is Feb 17.
“A Basic Introduction to the Thought of Karl Marx”
Co-facilitators: Joe Schwartz, DSA Vice Ch, and Jared Abbott, Ch DSA Strategy Comm.
Open to all DSA and YDS members relatively new to Marx. This will be a virtual discussion group.
In this period of continuing global economic crises, the question of an alternative to capitalism is increasingly being asked. Marx’s analysis of the workings of capitalism as a system provides a basis for thinking about both the political economy in which we live and act and the possibilities of change.
This 4 session mini-course is designed to help socialists’ link theory with day to day activity. We will cover a manageable selection of Marx’s reading – and signing up for the course means committing to doing these readings.
All of the readings are from Robt Tucker's The Marx-Engels Reader, 2nd edition. You can buy this book at low cost or you can download from the web here:
Space is limited: deadline for signing up is Feb 17. Sign up sooner rather than later – but make the commitment to do all 4 sessions.
When you register for the course, you will receive a list of readings.