Before you start:
Make sure that every phone banker has the following:
- A phone
- A desktop computer, laptop or tablet with internet access
Use your desktop computer, laptop or tablet to go through the steps below.
Create an ActionID:
- Go to https://www.openvpb.com/vpb_bycode/D80E12H-1213
- Click on the “Log in with Action ID” button:
3. If you’ve used a virtual phone bank for another Democrat or have ever used the MiniVAN app, you already have an ActionID. If you already have an ActionID, go ahead and log in or select “I forgot my password” and follow the instructions. Once you have logged back into your ActionID, skip to the Third Step. Otherwise, select “Create ActionID”:
4.Fill out your e-mail address, first name, last name and phone number. Set a password for your Action ID, then click on the “Create” button:
You now have an ActionID that you can use in any Democratic political campaign. Yay!
Log in to Open VPB:
- You should be redirected back to Open VPB and automatically logged into the phone bank. Skip to the Fourth Step. If you are not logged in automatically, go to https://www.openvpb.com/vpb_bycode/D80E12H-1213
3. If you have logged in successfully, skip to the Fourth Step. If you are still not logged in, you may have been taken to https://www.openvpb.com/. You will be asked to “Enter your VPB Code”. Click on the field below “Enter your VPB Code”, type ‘D80E12H-1213’ (make sure to include the hyphen but do not include the apostrophes), then click on the “Submit” button:
You just entered the Open Virtual Phone Bank (Open VPB) for Lou Braatz’s campaign! This is where the fun begins. You should see this screen:
Start phone banking:
- At the top of the screen you will see a voter’s name and phone number in bold type. Below the name, you will see more information about each voter: age, likely party affiliation and sex. On a left-hand panel, you will see a voter’s polling location for election day.
4. Select the bullet next to one of the corresponding options: “Not Home”, “Refused”, “Deceased”, “Moved”, “Call Back”, “Busy”, “Left Message”, “Wrong Number” or “Disconnected”. Select “Not Home” if you spoke to anyone besides the listed voter, including a family member, and none of “Deceased”/“Moved”/ “Wrong Number” apply. Only select “Refused” if the listed voter (not another household member) requests that the campaign never call again. Click on the “Save/Next >>” button to record your response:
You’re on to the next voter!
5. Continue reading the on-screen script once you have determined that the listed voter has picked up the phone. Depending on whether the voter you are speaking with has heard of Lou Braatz before, you will ask one of the following two questions: “Are you voting on April 4th for Lou during the City Primary?” or “With that in mind, will you vote for Lou Braatz on April 4th?”. If the listed voter plans not to vote, won’t be voting for Lou or expresses reservations indicating that s/he will probably not vote for Lou, then do the following: skip to and read the paragraph marked “(-)” at the bottom of the script, hang up and then select “4-lean opponent”, “5-strong opponent” or “5-not voting” from the first drop-down menu. If the listed voter says that s/he is undecided/unsure, without indicating a preference, then do the following: skip to and read the paragraph marked “(/)”, hang up and then select “3-undecided” from the first drop-down menu. If the listed voter says that says s/he will vote for Lou Braatz or otherwise expresses support for Braatz, his message, his record or his achievements, then do the following: skip to and read the paragraph marked “(+)”, hang up and, select either “1-strong support” or “2-lean support” from the first drop-down menu and finally (if the voter answered “Would you like to help with this people powered campaign?”) select “yes”, “maybe” or “no” from the second drop-down menu.
6. Once your conversation has ended, make sure that you accurately used the drop-down menus to select the listed voter’s answers to both the questions in the on-screen script. The second question should be left blank if unanswered. You will not be able to go back and correct your responses! Click on the “Save/Next >>” button to record your response:
You’re on to the next voter!