Before you start:
Make sure that every phone banker has the following:
- A phone
- A desktop computer, laptop or tablet with internet access
Use your desktop computer, laptop or tablet to go through the steps below.
First Step (optional):
Sign up to volunteer on khalid kamau’s website:
- Go to http://www.khalidcares.com/volunteer.html
- Fill out your name, phone number, e-mail address and home/physical address
- Select “I Will Call Potential Voters for You” under “HOW CAN YOU HELP?”
- Answer the “WHEN ARE YOU AVAILABLE?” question
- Answer the “WHEN ARE YOU MOST AVAILABLE?” question
- Click on the “SUBMIT” button
Congratulations! You’re now a volunteer for khalid kamau!
Create an ActionID:
- Go to https://www.openvpb.com/vpb_bycode/320222Q-2979
- Click on the “Log in with Action ID” button:
3. If you’ve used a virtual phone bank for another Democrat or have ever used the MiniVAN app, you already have an ActionID. If you already have an ActionID, go ahead and log in or select “I forgot my password” and follow the instructions. Once you have logged back into your ActionID, skip to the Third Step. Otherwise, select “Create ActionID”:
4.Fill out your e-mail address, first name, last name and phone number. Set a password for your Action ID, then click on the “Create” button:
You now have an ActionID that you can use in any Democratic political campaign. Yay!
Log in to Open VPB:
- You should be redirected back to Open VPB and automatically logged into the phone bank. Skip to the Fourth Step. If you are not logged in automatically, go to https://www.openvpb.com/vpb_bycode/320222Q-2979
3. If you have logged in successfully, skip to the Fourth Step. If you are still not logged in, you may have been taken to https://www.openvpb.com/. You will be asked to “Enter your VPB Code”. Click on the field below “Enter your VPB Code”, type '320222Q-2979’ (make sure to include the hyphen but do not include the apostrophes), then click on the “Submit” button:
You just entered the Open Virtual Phone Bank (Open VPB) for khalid kamau’s campaign! This is where the fun begins. You should see this screen:
Start phone banking:
- At the top of the screen you will see a voter’s name and phone number in bold type. Below the name, you will see more information about each voter: age, likely party affiliation and sex. On a left-hand panel, you will see a voter’s polling location for election day.
4. Select the bullet next to one of the corresponding options: “Not Home”, “Refused”, “Deceased”, “Moved”, “Call Back”, “Busy”, “Left Message”, “Wrong Number” or “Disconnected”. Select “Not Home” if you spoke to anyone besides the listed voter, including a family member, and none of “Deceased”/“Moved”/ “Wrong Number” apply. Only select “Refused” if the listed voter (not another household member) requests that the campaign never call again. Click on the “Save/Next >>” button to record your response:
You’re on to the next voter!
5. Once you have determined that the listed voter has picked up the phone, start reading the on-screen script! Use the drop-down menus to select answers to your questions. If the listed voter doesn’t answer any of your questions, skip to 3, above. The most important question is “Can we count on your vote for KHALID for City Council?” If the listed voter plans not to vote, won’t be voting for khalid or expresses reservations indicating that s/he will probably not vote for khalid, then do the following: stop reading the on-screen script, say something along the lines of ‘Thank you for your time. Have a great day!’, hang up and select either “Probably No” or “Definitely NO” from the drop-down menu. Otherwise, continue asking the questions on the on-screen script:
6. Once your conversation has ended, make sure that you accurately used the drop-down menus to select the listed voter’s answers to all the questions in the on-screen script. You will not be able to go back and correct your responses! Click on the “Save/Next >>” button to record your response:
You’re on to the next voter!