Historian John D'Emilio's presentation will do 3 things: Provide a brief explanation of how sexual and gender identities have emerged; provide an overview of the progression of LGBT activism since its origins in the 1950s, highlighting key moments of change; and, finally, suggest what issues, from a democratic socialist perspective, deserve prioritizing now. John co-authored Intimate Matters: A History of Sexuality in America, which was quoted by Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy in the 2003 Lawrence v. Texas decision that ruled state sodomy laws unconstitutional. 1 pm ET; 12 pm CT; 11 am MT; 10 am PT.
- This webinar is free for any DSA member in good standing.
- You need a computer with good internet access.
- Your computer must have headphones (preferred) or speakers; you can speak thru a mic or use chat to "speak".
- If you have questions, contact Peg Strobel, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you have technical questions, contact Tony Schmitt, email@example.com, 608-355-6568.